Re: [TowerTalk] Command Post

To: Blake Bowers <bbowers@mozarks.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Command Post
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:41:51 -0700
Blake Bowers wrote:

>Not sure why this is such a bad thing.  Our Local SO
>recieved a grant to put up an open 2 meter repeater for
>our local ARES/RACES group.  Plan is to add a couple
>of voters and a link on it.

I agree, Blake. There is nothing in part 97 that says a Sheriff isn't
allowed to get a ham license. Once he is a licensed ham, he can apply
with the local frequency coordination entity to get assigned a
coordinated frequency for a repeater.  Hams get funding all the time
from local agencies to buy equipment that will be used to support
emergency communications. As long as the Sheriff understands that he
isn't allowed to use ham radio to conduct regular business, then I don't
see the fuss.

73  Mike W4EF................