[TowerTalk] Temporary Guys When Stacking Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Temporary Guys When Stacking Tower
From: John Crovelli <w2gd@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:16:41 -0400
DON"T under any circumstances use temporary rope guys when stacking tower
sections, it can cost you or your climber his life.

Ten months ago, this almost happened to me, while stacking 45G on a pin base.

I am fortunate to be alive and well today, after suffering multiple pelvic and
back fractures, internal injuries, and vascular damage, when a temporary rope
guy decided to unexpectedly elongate, and I rode the tower to the ground from
30 feet.

SO....I can't urge you strongly enough, use EHS steel for temporary guying -
PERIOD  - end of recommendation and strong warning.

Yes, EHS is a big pain in the butt to work with, but its SAFE, and that is the
ONLY WAY to do this dangerous work.  DO NOT TAKE COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE RISKS!

Two cents from someone who has been there....and fortunately survived.

73,

John Crovelli W2GD aka P40W