[TowerTalk] loops

To: w1ksz@q.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] loops
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:55:07 -0400
W1KSZ asked about crossed k9ay loops...and whether having 3 loops
would work,
giving more azimuthal resolution.

-0-

I had a pair of k9ay loops, in Maryland, and was not happy with the
results.
Principally because an offending signal almost never happened to land
in the nulls.

In addition, the loop performance is heavily dependent upon the
tuning of the
termination, typically done by varicap.

Consequently, were I to do it again (and I WILL),  I would put up a
single loop,
with a remotely tuneable termination, and make it rotatable.   That
would allow you
to place the null where you want it,  and optimize the null depth by
tweaking the
term.    I would probably lay out a field of short radials... perhaps
10-16 of them, under
the rotating loop.

Never once in two years, by the way, on 80 or 160, did the loop hear
a signal better
than my 80m halfwave elevated 60'.      And, TWICE that I recall, I
was able to
remove an offending signal by loop switching.   The bad guys just
happened to land
in the null.

My $.02,  and worth every penny you paid for it!

N2EA