Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Wood constructed tower

To: hanslg@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Wood constructed tower
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 00:18:11 -0400

hanslg@aol.com wrote:
> Remember something about it from ARRL handbook a couple (or so) years ago.
> Was made of three planks (2x8 should probably do). Two of them were clamped
> around the third. It looked like an "A" with a spire on the top. Don't know
> if it would make 40' though. Always a start. Shall look for it and come back
> (unless somebody else finds it before me, which is very possible)

I built something similar some 48 years ago.  It literally exploded in a
30 to 40 MPH wind.  The largest piece left was about 3' long. <:-)) The
wood is elastic and the wind was just right to create a resonance. Of
course the elasticity of wood varies widely with moisture content and
density.

73

Roger (K8RI)