Re: [TowerTalk] Reduction Gear Box oil Question

To: Mike <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reduction Gear Box oil Question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 13:23:58 -0400

Mike wrote:
> http://www.conedrive.com/iandm/approvedlubrication.pdf
>
> If it is Worm Gear Reduction then one of these AGMA #8 will do the job, if
> it has been a long time since you have changed the oil, I would flush it
> through with a light oil first.
>
> Worm Gear has a high slide to roll ratio and relies on an oil wedge between
> the worm gear, that is why you should the correct oil for the unit.

I use white Lithium Grease in a Prosistel PST-61 and pack the gear box.
It's a low RPM, high pressure grease and I believe the factory has
changed from the gear lube they were using to it. It also makes far less
of a mess when you work on the rotator. BR2 is also a good grease for
this use, but really messy and is kinda expensive the last I heard.

73

Roger (K8RI).