Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol PL259

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol PL259
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 03:27:42 -0400

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> Paul Christensen wrote:
>
>> K8RI: > In all my years I have never seen any one attach a reducer
>> like that.
>>
>> Roger, in all your years, you must have seen this procedure in the
>> ARRL Antenna Book and ARRL Handbook.  A sample of the the reducer
>> installation diagram and process I'm referring to is exemplified here:
>>

> Actually..No.
> I was shown how to solder PL259s before ever owning a Handbook and never
> bothered to pay attention to that section.  With handbooks and
> directions I tend to read by need and specific topic. IOW if I'm
> configuring a new OS and have a problem with getting it to connect using
> static IPs through a server, that is what I look up.  I rarely read
> technical manuals other than for specific items or procedures. <:-))
>
>> http://www.therfc.com/images/uhfassembly.jpg
>>
>> And here on slides 9-12...
>>
>> http://www.emergencyradio.ca/course/Install%20PL-259.ppt

This is where I was taught differently. If you look at slide 9, I trim
the braid flush or slightly around the end of the reducer, then solder
it to the end of the reducer. If necessary I use a fine file to trim the
outside edges so the braid is thoroughly soldered to the end of the
reducer all the way around, yet the reducer easily screws into the
barrel of the PL-259.  I only screw the reducer in tight. Ido not solder
the reducer to the barrel. Slides 9,10,11, and 12 are the antithesis of
what I was taught as the proper way to solder the reducer into a
PL-259.  For one it adds too much heat to the fragile dielectric of RG58
or 59 and can easily melt it into something useless.   If the braid is
properly soldered to the reducer there is no need to solder the reducer
to the barrel. It also makes the assembly neat and the  PL-259 easily
reusable.  I was taught that way back in 61.

I'll have to put up some photos of how I do it and the idea definitely
predates me.  I think it was either K8KNY (deceased), K8IVX
(deceased...I think) or K8DMG (still around some where) that showed me
how to do this.

73

Roger (K8RI)