Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline ?

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline ?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 19:05:27 -0400

Hi Jim,

I see where you are coming from now. In my last response I thought that you
were talking about loss because of a mismatch to the generator and the
generator could not put out full power because of it. I didn't look at what
you referenced.

What I was originally questioning was your first statement (long ago) of
"0.18 dB additional loss with any length of line" when 75 ohm line was used
rather than 50 ohm line. I don't think that you originally said "worst case"
as you now have. I may have missed it originally though.

That sounded like you were saying that there was an automatic .18 dB of loss
when there was a 1.5:1 mismatch no matter how much loss the line had.
That is why I said that you must first know the line loss in order to
determine the additional loss caused by the mismatch.
However, I agree that the MAXIMUM additional loss in this case of .18dB
seems to be correct but it will be less than that when line losses are
lower.

73
Gary  K4FMX