Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline ?

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline ?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 12:08:18 -0400

Jim Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 07 May 2009 22:02:58 -0400, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>

>> The worst case ADDITIONAL loss in the line for this degree of
>>
>>> mismatch is 0.18dB, no matter how long the line is. This is shown in the
>>> graph
>>> for that degree of mismatch, which is asymtotic to 0.18 dB.
>>>

>> Although correct I think the statement is a bit misleading.

We may be dealing with semantics but:
> I don't think it's misleading at all.
To me it's very misleading if the person reading it does not have  a
well based knowledge of the subject.
>  The equations and graphs in the Handbook
> show quite clearly that the worst case loss that you can blame on a 1.5:1
> VSWR is
> 0.18 dB. Period. You will have so many dB/100 ft for the "matched loss", plus
> some additional loss that can never be more than 0.18dB.
For a given matched SWR for a specific length of line.  Double the
length of line and the matched line loss goes up which means the loss
due to SWR goes up.
>   What that means is
> quite simple -- it is crazy to go overboard about modest VSWR!

With this I agree.  I don't worry about the additional loss any SWR that
my line tuner can handle to make the rig happy.  If the rig is happy I'm
happy.  The *only* real time I get concerned about SWR is when it
"changes".<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)