Re: [TowerTalk] Design/Drawing for Crank up tower

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Design/Drawing for Crank up tower
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:21:17 -0700
jimlux wrote:

> Isn't there some design, originally from Australia, for a 2 section
> crankup out there?

I was thinking of the "One Man Tower" thing, not a crankup though.
Apparently he has medical issues now though, no orders?

India has an interesting situation. Only 10,000 hams in year 2000. Maybe
17,000 now? It can take a year to get a license?

I guess there are monsoons to deal with in Amit's area.
I was wondering why a crankup was needed. I suppose the houses are close
together. Wouldn't a rooftop tower or mast be sufficient for that tribander?

EI7BA has a relatively simple tilt over home brew here, using box steel
http://www.qsl.net/ei7ba/Crank-up%20Tilt-over%20Tower.htm

Reading that, I would think make you realize that you want something
simpler. A home brew project would take a lot of time.

Glen Martin does its rooftop towers to 26'
http://www.glenmartin.com/catalog/page14.html

I was curious about what the current state of affairs might be in India
around ham towers etc.
here's a video of VU2MUE on the rooftop VU2DLR guyed tower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ZMfXaPO_M
Funny, there's another VU2MUE vid where he's mobile q'ing with Amit,
VU2ZZA.

Probably the best advice is to talk to as many VU2's as possible to find
out what others do. There's a number of communication  tower companies
in India. Rather than homebrewing, talking to them for optimizing
something they have for amateurs might be an interesting business
proposition for them (since the ham population seems to be increasing).
Maybe a small freestanding tower, if no rooms for guys?

I'd be curious in hearing more about what the typical VU2 setup is like.

-kevin
ke6rad