Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran and Pulleys

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran and Pulleys
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:12:26 -0500
Jim Brown wrote:
> Crew,
>
> I've got some of the smaller 1,200 lb test Phillystran that I bought
> years ago for a wire antenna project that didn't happen. It's too
> small for the 120 ft Rohn 25 that I'm preparing to install, but I'm
> wondering if it would work on my high dipoles that are up 110 ft in
> redwoods?
>
> The existing antennas, 80/40 fans fed with 150 ft of RG11, are held
> up by ropes (the "good" stuff that DX Eng and some other ham vendors
> sell) through good pulleys, but the black UV sheath of these ropes
> gradually abraid from friction as the trees sway, and eventually they
> fail. A 5/16-inch rope holding up my 160M Tee vertical failed after
> two years -- the sheath wore through completely, exposing the inner
> white material. Luckily I discovered it before it rotted in the sun
> and dropped, and was able splice in a new rope and pull it through.
>
> I'm not worried about the pulling strength, which is certainly
> adequate, but I am concerned as to whether the Phillystran would
> stand up to continuous flexing at the pulleys as the trees sway in a
> storm. Each antenna is counterweighted (about 100#) at one end,
> pulleys at both ends.
>
> Thoughts? Experience?
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

yeah!!  NEVER use parachute cord!!!  that stuff rots thru in a year
here in Houston.  I only use the double braided polyester 3/16" or a
size larger maybe.  the 700# test stuff.

I have kept a mast up for 5 yrs now with this stuff and it still is
perfectly strong.

geee, I thought everyone knew to not buy chute or riser cord for
anything but boot laces or some such.

chas
k5dam, houston, TX