Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran and Pulleys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran and Pulleys
From: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:50:52 -0500
With all due respect for Chas' experience, I have three antennas hung with
Parachute cord.  One has been up about 8 years, one about 5 years and the last
one has hung from my tower only 2 years.  I also have a halyard hung about 60'
up in a tree that I pull antennas up and test them that has been up 8 years
like the first dipole I hung when I moved back home.  I bought a 1000' spool in
1991 at the HossTraders Hamfest in NH and still have about half.  I also use
some of the good Black Stuff to guy verticals.

The only failure I have ever had was when I ran over with the lawn mower the
end of one of dipole ends which had fallen into the grass. (oooops) .  It
wrapped itself around the blade bearing and I had to cut it out.  All it did
was shorten the end so I will have to tie a piece on when I want to lower that
end of the dipole (or I could just let it fall) .

I think the key is to buy quality cord.  I have seen some really poor stuff in
the $ stores but if you go to a good Outdoor store that serves climbers I think
you can find some that is worth buying.

Clint - W5CPT