Re: [TowerTalk] Self-support Tower on Rock?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ScottW3TX@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Self-support Tower on Rock?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:43:41 EDT

In a message dated 7/7/2009 3:38:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I recommend contacting a licensed Geologist to obtain a  "core sample"
from
the proposed tower site.  They can have it analyzed  and then design the
appropriate basesize/materials for the conditions  encountered.  One
possibile outcome, if the formation is stable, is  that the base-hole can be
"jack-hammered" or "blasted" and the  concrete/rebar is integrated into the
formation.

    Yes, I agree a geotechnical survey will provide  some expensive answers
but I've never understood why you would jack-hammer or  blast out some
perfectly good rock and replace it with concrete. You can drill  the rock and
then epoxy in some rebar to help bond it to the concrete and  there is also
material available that you can apply that will help bond the  rock and
concrete as well.

    I would recommend having concrete above grade for  the finished form
but maybe that's all you need.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH