Re: [TowerTalk] steppir question/ proper grounding

To: KG4LRU@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] steppir question/ proper grounding
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:23:30 -0700
KG4LRU@aol.com wrote:
> I been running SteppIR beams going on 7 years plus  the newest Beam is  DB
> 36 at 100 ft I been using I.C.E. lighting  protection on the shack.  There
> link is below These units each one handles 8 conductors  anything  over 50
> volts is shunt to ground . I used these now over 9 years  had one  tower hit
> did not lose the control box or the antenna .  Look over there  sight I think
> you find what you need. They will rebuild any Item as long as your  the
> original owner.  They also have quite a bit on lighting  protection  and
> proper
> grounding .

"Uses metal oxide varistor devices, AC or DC voltage rated, ceramic
high-capacity RF bypassing components."

Without knowing more about the internal design, it's hard to assess
whether this is a good approach. It certainly "works" in the sense that
your antenna still adjusts, and it probably will help in some cases.

A concern is the use of MOVs, because MOVs die a little with every
transient they clamp. However, maybe the number of transients this would
see is small enough that it's a non issue. After all, out of the
thousands of unprotected SteppIR boxes out there, relatively few have
died from transients.  You have to look at the cost vs benefit.

If one is really interested in transient suppression, get the book by
Ronald Standler for $26 from Amazon (among other places)
http://www.amazon.com/Protection-Electronic-Circuits-Overvoltages-Standler/dp/0486425525/

Published by Dover, if you want to search for other sources.