Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:22:58 -0700
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> Most of the 1/2" and 5/8" variable speed drills will turn less than 60
> RPM, but you need one that has a motor up to the job.  I have 4. 2
> Lithium battery powered and 2 AC powered. I have burned up the motors in
> three. One was actually blowing flames when I was drilling 3/4" holes in
> 1/2" thick, 4 or 5" I-beams.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

My Milwaukee is the plug in type (yes they still make them).  I have
power at the tower for the raising winch so battery operation is
not required.  It overheats after a minute or so when the load is
large.  I don't see any solution to that in a drill you can hold
in your hand; its limited by physics.  When the drill is cooling,
I crank by hand.  The drill and I are a tag team :-).  The winch
needs to rest too so it doesn't overheat.

Rick N6RK