Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting a Hustler 5BTV Near a house

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting a Hustler 5BTV Near a house
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:07:00 -0700
john@kk9a.com wrote:

>I have a 160m vertical 3 feet from the house at P40A http://www.qrz.com/p40a
>and it works OK.  Your vertical should work fine near the house and it may
>minimize any neighbor complaints so you can stay on the air.
>
>GL,
>John KK9A
>
>From: Jay Radcliffe <jay.radcliffe@gmail.com>
>
> The antenna would be
>ground mounted 3' away from the house on a DX Engineering tilt base
>and power would be 100W maximum.  I wanted to see if anyone has any
>experience with how much degradation in TX/RX quality compared to
>mounting it more in the clear.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Jay n8os

I concur with John that what your proposing should work okay.

The 60' ft tall vertical portion of my 160 meter inverted-L is also
right up against my house on a very small lot. It's not a great antenna
(I don't always keep up with the local Topband muscle), but I've still
managed to work 160 meter DXCC with it from suburban Los Angeles. I run
1500 watts with no TVI or computer disruption, but I do sometimes trip
various  GFI's in the house that I haven't bothered to bypass with line
rated capacitors (the ones I have bypassed no longer trip). My wife also
claims that she got a "bite" from a fixture in the bathroom which shares
a wall with the vertical (probably induced RF current).

I also use this antenna on the higher bands with a tuner. It's
definitely down from a yagi, but it does oftentimes beat the 20/15/10
meter trapped vertical that I have mounted on the roof.

73, Mike W4EF..............