Re: [TowerTalk] Gem Quad Back in Production

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gem Quad Back in Production
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:45:23 +0000

I had a Gem quad in 1974.  My first directional antenna and first tower.  The
tower was a fairly light duty crank-up, 5 sections,
88 ft guyed.
So what to do with that quad which extends down 10 ft or so from the center?
Can't have guy wires going through the quad to the top of the tower.  Oh what
the heck, we got 4 sets of guy wires already, we'll just leave the top section
unguyed, its only 18 ft.

Result - a windstorm and the top tower section buckled slightly.
But at least the tower didn't come down.
The Gem quad was given away, the tower section was wedged down inside the next
lower section and I've been using yagis for 35 years.

Rick  K2XT

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics.
Check it out.
http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_QA_HM_sports_photos_072009&cat=sports