[TowerTalk] Hot Dip Galvanizing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hot Dip Galvanizing
From: Jay slough <k4zle@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:08:48 -0700 (PDT)
I live between Cincinnati and Dayton, OH.  Last year I had some Rohn 25, Rohn
45 sections and misc other tower parts regalvanized.  I currently have another
batch of stuff, including 70 feet of Rohn 45 being regalvanized.  Witt is the
name of the company in Cincinnati that is doing the work.  I think their new
name is AZZ, since Witt recently sold off their fabrication subsidiary.  The
first question I was asked when I pulled into the lot, after the yard foreman
spotted me was, "Is their any aluminum in that tower?"  They had problems with
the rivits melting and screwing up the dip tank.  The process as previously
described is what they use, I have taken some fairly heavily rusted stuff in
before and it comes back looking good.  (Prime example was an old milk can, I
had cleaned up this way for my wife.)  The quality is acceptable, but since
they are not tower manufacturers, sections do come back with zinc splinters a
plenty and usually one side,
 the bottom when it comes out of the tank, has some globs that need to be
removed.  I had them redo a Rohn 25 for me shortly after I moved from MO to OH
and it lasted over 20 years, just beginning to show surface rust at the welds
and on cross members.  Current Costs:  $150 minimum charge and that appears to
cover about 340 pounds.

Jay, K4ZLE