Re: [TowerTalk] Need Input on Best Antenna for Stationary RV

To: "Edward Sylvester" <navydude1962@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Input on Best Antenna for Stationary RV
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:09:55 -0000
Ed,

I would look at a good picture of an assembled AV-640 before you make a
decision. It has top hat spokes that vary from 6 in. to 48 in.  It also
seven 72 in. Counterpoise whips at the bottom. Its a good antenna but looks
like a porcupine when fully assembled. Not very mobile.

I personally do not feel this would be very easy to lay down on the top of
the RV. It would require some disassembly and re-assembly each time you used
it.

I have a Screwdriver antenna on my RV and am very pleased with it. With an 8
ft. whip, it tunes 40-80 very well. When 10M is open I install a 60 in. whip
and it still reaches 80M but is a little more critical on tuning.

I also load the rear ladder with a tuner. I split the ladder and installed a
PVC section in the center and added a center loading coil and have it tuned
to 15 meters. I also use it on 20 with a tuner. The nice thing about the
ladder, it don't whirl around with the RV in motion.

Another option is the Hustler individual sticks. I have one with 80, 40 and
20M sticks. It can be  mounted on top of the ladder and is easy to lay down
for travel. You can get adapters that allow you to use more than one stick
at time.

My current Motorhome is all fiberglass and has a rubber roof, so options are
limited. My previous Motorhome had a full aluminum top and DDRR antennas
worked great on top of it. A 20m DDRR will fit on an 8ft wide body and only
sticks up about the same height as the Roof mounted air conditioners.

You are only limited to your imagination and desired budget.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *