Re: [TowerTalk] Remove Tower Base

To: Mike <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remove Tower Base
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 03:31:38 -0400

Mike wrote:
> No, I think for this kind of small application that regular Dynamite from
> your local Ace hardware would work, raw Nitro is a tad unstable;-) C4 is too
> difficult to get.

Dynamite is nothing more than Nitro soaked filler available in 40 and
60% strengths. 40% is safer but less powerful. Never, ever let it
freeze. If it looks oily get some one to dispose of it.  OTOH that
shouldn't be a problem as any one who has to ask probably couldn't get
the permit.
> I would like to be there when he does the job, well maybe at least 500 feet
> away.

Years ago when on the farm I used a lot of it. I used some 40% in a
hole/excavation within about 3 to 4 feet of a foundation and about 8'
from some windows without damaging anything. We were digging a hole in
hard pan for a fuel oil tank.  We stood about a 100' from the work.  The
stuff is fairly easy to work with as long as you play by the rules (Know
how much to use and where to put it)  and are safety conscious.   OTOH
that was a different world in a different time. At 16 I could walk into
the local hardware store and buy the stuff by the case...and did. I used
it on stumps and large rocks on our farm and for the neighbors.  Now
days I doubt I could even get the license, nor do I have a need for one.
I don't even know how or where to apply.  Lots of stories from those old
days though<:-))

BTW on either a volume or weight comparison the gas we burn in our cars
is far more powerful than Dynamite. It does burn a tad slower though<:-))

For the tower base, stick with the chemicals others have recommended.
Even that's a lot of work

73

Roger (K8RI)