Re: [TowerTalk] Static Discharge Wicks

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Static Discharge Wicks
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 01:52:41 -0400

jimlux wrote:
> GALE STEWARD wrote:
>
>> Time for a new thread!
>>
>> I ran across this the other day. Apparently these devices are used all the
>> time on aircraft.
>>
>> http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/static-buster/buster.html
>>
>> Click on the "ELECTROSTATIC RECEIVER NOISE as a PDF file" to view an article
>> on how these devices can be used on antenna systems.
>>
>> 73 Stew K3ND
>>

> a high (RF) impedance bleed to ground can also help, as will avoiding
> "pointy" ends to elements.
>
> Aircraft have a particular problem with p-static because they are
> isolated from ground, so charge can accumulate on the plane until the

I've run into precip static so bad I had to recycle the main power
switch on the panel.   ATC was a bit concerned when the transponder
disappeared. <:-)) When things came back up I immediately called and
explained so when it went the next time they didn't get quite so
concerned.  One of the reasons for concern was I was flying through an
area with a tornado watch.

I had to recycle the power several times.  I couldn't see the static
wicks but I'd bet they were a bit "colorful" at the time.

Basically a P static build up kills just about everything you have for
nav along with the com receive. This can be particularly exciting when
all the electronics goes TU and you can't see beyond the wind shield.

73

Roger (K8RI)