Re: [TowerTalk] [SteppIR] The right tower

To: <SteppIR@yahoogroups.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [SteppIR] The right tower
From: Steve Robinson <wu9b@desertinet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:59:08 -0700
Ron,

I have a MARB770MDP and I live in Arizona. The wind storms can come up
rather quickly and unannounced here. All I have on there is a Mosely TA33
right now and even with this smaller antenna the tower will sway somewhat
with 20-25 MPS winds. If the alarm on my weather station goes off at 20 MPH,
I always lower the tower a bit to make it stronger (or if I am away for a
few days).
All of the MA Series crank-up Tubular Towers have always been rated at 10 sq
feet @ 50 mph winds as far as I know. I would like to think that your
SteppIR with the 30/40 should be fine if you exercise caution. All of the
accessories are a must including the motor drive and remote so that you can
react quickly if need be. I cannot imagine raising or lowering it with a
hand wench.

I figure that the 3L SteppIR with the 30/40 option is about the biggest
thing I could put up there and hope to do some day. The NN4ZZ Tilt Plate (or
the version in QST years ago from my buddy, Ken, N9KS (QST, Mar 2000, pp
60-61)) would make working on your beam much more agreeable. I still can
reach my little antenna from a ladder. I never enjoyed climbing towers, even
when I was younger.

I agree with many folks that US Tower doesn't have the greatest manuals or
support but they have gone out of their way to help me when I had a problem,
they actually gave me a new tower! I really like my tower, I will never
climb again. GL with whatever tower you select!

Steve WU9B