Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing the Antenna Mast

To: "'Roger White'" <rwhitetexas@verizon.net>, "'Mark Robinson'" <markrob@mindspring.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing the Antenna Mast
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 16:23:20 -0500
What would be wrong with just drilling a hole through the mast and installing
some 3/4" stainless steel all thread rod through the
mast say every 8" or so. Then screw on two nuts on each side (one as a backup
nut) to secure it to the mast.

The ones being sold look unsafe.

The first link looks way too easy to bend or slip off of and the second looks
like they made the main ring out of some kind of pot
metal.

If I am putting my health or life on the line I like the idea of IRON or STEEL
holding me up there. Neither link gives you any
written detail of the materials used for construction. Except the very basic
wording 'angle', ect. There is no hardening data or
strength data that I can find anywhere on the sites.

Still the best solution in my opinion is get a tilt over base and bring the top
down to you.

Climbing is a last resort deal in my opinion, too much can go wrong too fast
for no expected reason even with the most experienced
climbers and you have no way to get out of it when it does.

Bob AD5VJ