Re: [TowerTalk] Ground mounting vs roof mounting verticals

To: "'AD5VJ Bob'" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground mounting vs roof mounting verticals
From: "Jon" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 00:26:18 -0400
Try a Cushcraft R-5 or R-7.  They are 3/8 WL verticals with a matching unit
and counterpoise arrangement.  I used these on top of an A4S in Europe and
it worked great.  Remember to place a golf ball in the mast tube so it can't
work its way down and ground on the support mast.  Been there and could not
figure out the intermittent problem when the wind blew until I found the
support mast slipping up and touching the element in big winds.

The golf ball fits perfectly!

When mounted like this, it is also a great lightning rod.

YMMV,

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"