Re: [TowerTalk] Ground mounting vs roof mounting verticals

To: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground mounting vs roof mounting verticals
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:53:51 -0700

No, I didn't say the same thing.

I didn't say that it was required for the system to be resonant, and it
isn't.  It is just trickier (sharper tuning) to tune any sort of
off-center feed to resonance if that is your objective.   I (and others)
also said that you could use a matching network, either at the feedpoint
or in the shack, to feed the vertical against a counterpoise even if the
system wasn't resonant.

To be clear ... it is not necessary for the radials themselves to be
resonant for the antenna system to be resonant (you can adjust the
length of the vertical element to make it so), and it is not necessary
for the the antenna system to be resonant for it to work properly if you
are willing to use some sort of matching scheme to feed it.

Dave   AB7E