[TowerTalk] Inquiry: former AT&T shortwave radiotelephone station in Law

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inquiry: former AT&T shortwave radiotelephone station in Lawrenceville, NJ
From: Dennis Waters <dpwaters@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 07:20:50 -0500
I am the Township Historian in Lawrenceville, New Jersey (near Trenton
and Princeton).

I am in the midst of compiling a history of the former AT&T shortwave
transmission facility that operated in our town beginning in 1929. For
three decades it was the primary outbound telephone link from the USA
to Europe and Latin America. At its peak it could generate one million
watts on the 16, 22, and 32 meter bands. The 800-acre site is now a
county park.

Here are three questions I would like to throw out to the community:

(1) Does anyone have any personal memories, photographs, or documents
regarding this station, or know of someone who might?

(2) Can anyone suggest why this particular site was chosen? Proximity
to New York was one factor, but AT&T documents say "extensive tests"
were conducted before settling on the site. I have had no luck in
finding any. I assume this has something to do with ground
conductivity but I am no expert on this.

(3) The initial antenna system in 1929 was of the "curtain" variety
and it is well documented. Subsequently that system was replaced by a
rhombic system, probably in the 1940s. There is very little
documentation on this system and I would like to find some. The
rhombic system remained in place until the station was decommissioned
in 1963.

Thanks in advance for any help. Please feel free to forward this query
to other lists or individuals. And apologies if you received more than
one query due to cross-posting.

Dennis Waters
Township Historian
Lawrence Township, New Jersey