[TowerTalk] FW: Vertical dipoles

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Vertical dipoles
From: "David J. Sourdis" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:52:53 -0500

I wonder what quality of ground and heights were used to compare the HVD
(Halfwave Vertical Dipole) against that inverted vee.

I have used HVD for 7 MHz shortened with capacitive hats at both ends; bottom
was 60 cm above the ground of my 100% urban backyard and looked like two
in-line radials over 5 m long each. Top loading was same lenght in inverted vee
fashion. I fed the HVD at midpoint of the 8,40 m long aluminium pipe vertical
section, I won't do it again, that is a structural no-no if you don't want to
spend money. The antenna is surrounded by high palm trees, thick brick walls,
metal, etc, not the ideal location, but relatively unobstructed path to EU.

This antenna, with 100W, produced unrequested comments about the signal, 9+20,
a couple of times in Moscow (10,000 km). The HVD was a real winner at SR/SS for
long haul contacts and quite a pile-up breaker, with 100 W. I took it to a site
3/4 of a mile away from the Caribbean sea shore here in HK1 and it was amazing,
I was just checking for site QRM and any other interference one week before CQ
WW SSB, and I had a nice CW pile-up during one hour until I decided to stop,
with my "t-rusty" IC 751 on top of the hood and connected to the battery  and
me standing with a cloud of mosquitoes and writing under the light of the
S-meter, hi!.

David
HK1KXA
EC5KXA

> From: w9ac@arrl.net
> To: towertalk@contesting.com
> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:16:53 -0500
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipoles
>
> >  I'd have to disagree with that statement. I have both vertical
> > dipoles and  inverted Vs for 80 and 160m.
>
> John,
>
> Why are you now feeding your vertical dipole asymmetrically?  I see a
> center-fed element in one diagram, but it changes to a bottom feed at the
> end of your web page.  Tnx!
>
> Paul, W9AC

Keep your friends updated— even when you’re not signed in.