Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipoles

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipoles
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:08:36 -0800
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:22:21 +0000, John Tait wrote:

>They are all at about 55ft at the highest point.

I'm missing a lot in your email. First, you say you're talking about
a vertical dipole for 160M, and that the highest point is 55 ft. How
can that be?  A half wave on 160M is 80M, which is about 260 ft.

The specific antennas I'm talking about are for 40M. The vertical
dipole is installed with its highest point at about 110 ft, putting
its lower extent at about 40 ft. I've got an inverted V with its
apex at 120 ft, and it blows the pants off the vertical dipole.
There are several photos of the vertical dipole in the power point
pdf, and there are a couple of photos of one of the horizontal
dipoles as well.

I also have flat dipoles at 120 ft (well, they sag a bit at the
feedpoint) and they outperform the inverted Vee.

73,

Jim K9YC