Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipoles

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>, John Tait <johnei7ba@eircom.net>, Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipoles
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:30:45 -0800
I can see what Jerry K4SAV is talking about.  Using a 45 foot vertical
wire and four 65 foot hat wires indicated by EI7BA, resonance is around
2.36 MHz in my EZNEC model.  This varies somewhat depending on the
amount of droop of the top wires.  The impedance at 1.83 MHz is about 17
- j 282 (SWR=96:1).

Using 93 foot wires (186 feet tip-to-tip) gives resonance at 1.83 MHz
(#14 bare copper wire).  The feed impedance (at the bottom) at resonance
is near 25 ohms.  (Perhaps John can comment on how he matches the 160m
version.)

BTW, there appears to be an error in the N6LF article
http://rudys.typepad.com/ant/files/antenna_vertical_loaded.pdf , where
he shows the dimension of the hats, L2, as tip-to-tip, but for the model
to work, Rudy's 80m dimension L2 in Table 1 needs to be doubled (i.e.
use the L2 dimension for each of the four hat wires).

With this correction, Rudy's 30 foot high version for 80m can be scaled
to 160m, giving a 55.5 foot vertical section and 168.8 feet tip-to-tip
for the hats, with a feed Z of 29.5 ohms at 1.83 MHz.  This is a little
higher than what N6LF shows for the 80m prototype (23.8 ohms), but I
kept the bottom wire at 10 feet high, so the 160m version is closer to
ground (in wavelengths), which tends to increase losses and feed Z.

73, Terry N6RY