Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod connection question

To: "'Ray'" <rayn6vr@cableone.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod connection question
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:20:52 -0500
Ray,
You are correct. The talk about connecting to a single point on the tower
probably comes from the crowd that does not understand what a "single point
ground system" is. It has nothing to do with grounding the tower.

A straight shot from each ground rod near the tower to the nearest leg is
the way to do it. Sometimes even making the connection up a little higher on
the leg is better than right at the bottom of the leg if the higher
connection point will give you less of an angle (bend) in the connecting
lead.

A loop of wire around the base does nothing for the ground system except
waste wire. This falls into the same class as making outer connecting rings
between ground rods around the tower.

The shortest straightest connection to the ground rods is the way.

73
Gary  K4FMX