[TowerTalk] dipole configuration

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] dipole configuration
From: Blair S Balden <blair.balden@wmich.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:10:41 -0500
Hello towertalk group,

I'm getting set to put up a wire dipole for 160 meters.  I'm considering 2
options, and I wanted to hear which one you guys think might be better.  The
feed point will be about 38 feet up on the side of a tower near the house.
From there, I have just enough room to stretch out a full quarter wave to the
back edge of my property, where I can get about 25 - 30 feet of height in a
tree at the other end.  So this leg of the dipole will be pretty much
horizontal.

For the other leg, I don't have that much room.  I will need to put in a
get about 25 feet of height.  This is what I was planning, but I also thought
about bringing that leg straight down from the feed point.  In that case, the
antenna would have one full-length horizontal leg and one short (about 30 foot)
vertical leg with a loading coil.

Do you think anything would be gained by having part of the antenna vertical?
Would I get some lower-angle radiation if I did it that way?  Or would it work
better more or less horizontal?

Thanks in advance for any input.

73,
Blair NP2F