Re: [TowerTalk] Gin pole

To: Tek Supp <teksaport@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gin pole
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:11:05 -0500

Tek Supp wrote:
> I bought my pullies (bottom and top) and the clamps from this guy and
> although they are home made, they work fine so far - I've used them about 5
> times and I'm pleased, but I reserve to the right to complain in the future
> ;-).  But for the tubing I went to a local shop called "Affiliated Metals"
> (801) 363-1711.  A 20' 6061 T6 (2" OD x .125W 1.750 ID x 240") with tax was
> 48.08 this summer.  It's in SLC, UT and I have no idea about shipping.  But
> perhaps you can call them and find out.  I then cut it down to 14' so I could
> have enough spacing/supported area for the tower clamps to the gin pole, but
> I didn't feel I needed the full 20'.  I can't say that this helped you, but
> it's at least another avenue to pursue.

I use 20' of 1 1/2" galvanized steel fence tubing.  with a  16" swivel
arm at the top so it can lower masting or tower sections in line with
the tower.  It lifts 45G sections with no noticeable flexing. OTOH if
there is some side force it will spring without bending.  I've lifted
well over 150# with it with very little deflection. I use a pulley on
top, the lifting pulley is floating on the rope, and the end of the rope
ties off at the end of the offset arm making heavy lifts relatively easy.

The only drawback of an all steel gin pole? The thing is "heavy"!.
I understand the quality of this material may vary.  The place where I
get it (only about a 4 mile drive) has  always had suitable material.

73

Roger (K8RI)