Re: [TowerTalk] Gin pole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gin pole
From: "Doug Rehman" <doug@k4ac.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:39:03 -0500
I once used 1/2 of a 32' aluminum extension ladder as a Gin pole for taking
down a 60' windmill style tower- it worked exceptionally well. Figuring that
an extension ladder is designed for a 250-350 pound person with the weight
being applied at an angle to the ladder, it will easily handle that much or
more in line.

For the windmill tower, the catches on the top 1/2 of the ladder (designed
to brace to the rungs of the lower 1/2) fit nicely on a cross brace. I then
lashed a higher rung to a higher brace.

Also has the added bonus of being able to use the "Gin" pole for lots of
other projects between tower jobs...

Doug
K4AC