Re: [TowerTalk] HDR-300 wiring

To: al_n6ta@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDR-300 wiring
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 21:35:58 -0500

al_n6ta@comcast.net wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Your observations are helpful.  I did reverse these two pins 9 and 10 and now
> have readings but they are way off, ranging from 328 to 870!  Yes, 870.  That
> indicates the shaft traveled some 540 degrees, verified by eyeball.  It would
> have been more had I not stopped short of using up all the slack in the
> loops.  So, it seems that the limit switch in at least one direction did not
> stop the motor before it went too far.  Now, when I try to reverse direction,
> I cannot get very far before the other limit switch actuates, stopping
> rotation.  Probably going back thru a switch and then hitting the otherI had
> inspected the gears on the limit switch actuator and found good gear
> engagement, nothing looking funny.  I did not check the setscrew on the gear
> but doubt it is loose.
>

> Given this, has anyone seen the rotor 'coast' by the limit switches

You bet.
> and how does one prevent it or adjust it, if there is an adjustment.  Yeah, I
> know I can always ensure I stop short of the limit.
If the power is on it will not coast much, but between power off and
brake on there is very little holding the thing from turning.  On a
windy day it can turn amazingly fast.  Turning the big array I let go of
the power switch and the antennas turned more than 90 degrees in just a
couple of seconds...or less. Of course this happened with winds gusting
over 50 MPH.

I don't remember the alignment procedure as I've not done one in over 6
years.  IIRC the directions were not very clear.

>   I assume I will need to somehow reset the physical calibration of the pot
> to the limit switch actuator position.

You'll need to make sure the rotator is positioned on the proper sides
of the limit switches as well

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)