Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Guy article in CQ

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Guy article in CQ
From: "Bill K2OWR" <k2owr@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:52:12 -0500
:::: Hopefully all will realize that I was just poking fun at the incredible
amount of information being given on this topic.
I am quite serious though about my really never overthinking this that much.
My tower installations have been under 100', except for one, and all I ever
considered was getting the three angles close, using three sets of guys, and
simply tensioning the turnbuckles as equal as I could just by "feel".
None of the towers ever fell, swayed, came down, or felt the least bit
unsafe when I was at the very top.
I'm sure that most of the information given here was accurate, just not
necessary unless it's a really big tower, installed in a really windy place
where ice is a big problem......although most of my towers got a thick coat
of ice every winter in NJ.

Bottom line....be safe gang!

BILL K2OWR

Tain't near that bad Bill.  Just keep the angles the same and the
tensions the same.
Actually there is a lot of leeway built in and I think many over think
it by far.

Unless a tower is pushed near its limits for load and/or height there is
a lot of flexibility as to what you can get away with. <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)