Re: [TowerTalk] L-Com 400 coax

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] L-Com 400 coax
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:21:13 -0500
I can't speak for L-com LMR 400 like cable, but Times Wire LMR has a
very short permissible bend radius for permanent installations of only
1", or a repeatable bend radius of 4"
http://www.timesmicrowave.com/wireless/index.shtml which is listed as
the smallest bend radius for any cable of that type.  I've compared
CNT-240 to LMR-240 and the CNT appears to be more rigid, but that tells
you or me nothing about the L-Com cables.

So for stubs wound up into coils they would easily fit into a relatively
small space depending almost entirely on the overall length.

You can find Times Wire LMR-400 available at prices low enough that
purchasing knock offs is hardly justifiable. I've been paying about
$1.29 USD a foot for LMR-600, and have replaced all except the leads
from the  remote antenna switches with it. Crimp on N connectors are
about $10-$13 USD.

What the tremendous jumps in aluminum and copper prices are going to do
to the coax cable market is hard to say, but if you need the stuff I'd
get it now. Two increases in the market. Two weeks ago 30% and last week
another 30%. Last time it was mainly copper, this time it's copper AND
aluminum.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Greg wrote:
> Thanks Perry.  Sounds like it may be too stiff for what I plan to use it
> for.  I am building some 1/4 wave bandpass stubs and plan to coil them
> up in a plastic trash can.  Do you think it will be difficult to coil
> that tightly?
>
> Greg
>

> On 1/22/2010 12:40 PM, Perry - K4PWO wrote:
>
>> I've used it on HF and 6 meters with no problems.  It is the typical stiff
>> (almost like hardline) cable that is hard to work with but it does work
>> well.  I haven't used it for 2 meter or higher yet but my MFJ analyzer does
>> show typical loses at 2 meters as is specified for LMR-400.
>>
>> 73 de Perry - K4PWO

>>> 73
>>> Greg