Re: [TowerTalk] L-Com 400 coax

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] L-Com 400 coax
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:19:25 -0800
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:33:14 -0800, Greg wrote:

>I can get a 1Kft roll locally for $300.  I know that's only $70
less
>than ordering online but I don't have to mess with shipping either.

>But I have not been able to find any reviews on this stuff.

Ask for specs and a manufacturer's part number.

Coax loss at HF is entirely due to copper loss. Dielectric loss
doesn't kick in until you hit UHF (unless the dielectric is wet or
otherwise defective). For lowest loss at HF, look at the DC
resistance of the center conductor and the shield. The lowest loss
cables are about 2.3 ohms/1,000 ft. BTW -- don't believe the
advertised loss specs of the LMR cables -- I recently measured
LMR240 and found their advertised loss numbers to be quite
"optimistic," and only slightly better than Belden 9258 or CQ118,
the equivalent cable that The Wireman sells.

I have bought Commscope 3227 real cheap, which came onto the surplus
market as the result of a telecom bankruptcy. It's VERY good cable,
very low loss, and standard PL259s fit it quite well. It's 2.3
ohms/ft total DCR.

Yes, resistance is increased by skin effect, but guess what? The
laws of physics work the same way for all of these cables, and skin
effect simply multiplies all of their resistances by the same factor
at any given frequency. So for all practical purposes, we can
compare the HF loss of cables by comparing their total DCR.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC