Re: [TowerTalk] Ref SteppIR rubber boots

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ref SteppIR rubber boots
From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:49:21 -0000
Mike,
    The new boots which have been in use now for at least three years solved
the problem.   Hams then go in for largely unneeded additional precautions.
I did not tape my boots and there has been no problem.  Next time the
antenna is down then maybe I will.   It is what we call a " Belt and Braces"
and you would call "Belt and Suspenders" approach.   You do not need to tape
or paint or any thing else but it makes some of us happier to do so.   This
thing is blown out of all proportion.

      As to the LP v SteppIR discussion, my feeling is that the two element
SteppIR equals most of the smaller LP and is a cheaper antenna.   The three
element beats them for performance and has 33% less wind loading which makes
it superior for my applications.   I run a four element at 80 feet.   If I
could put up a LP on a 50' boom at 80 feet then that would beat my four
element.   Wind loading and aesthetics are important to me as gain and
directivity.   I want to keep the antenna up in the air and increased wind
load may mean my tower is more likely to be damaged.   I can replace an
antenna but my tower is worth a lot more.   This is just my take on recent
traffic and of course we all have different weightings for performance
factors.   Thanks to all for the great deal of information.

                    73 Doug EI2CN