Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss-Dealers - Response DAVIS RF

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss-Dealers - Response DAVIS RF
From: Stephen Davis <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:48:44 -0500
A brief response to some TT'rs observations herein:

What's a dB worth:
    As much as you can afford to spend to achieve your desired result, without
short changing  the rest of the family...a distinct point of "diminishing
(moral?) return".

3 dB   + or -  :
     Definitely a "difference".  Particularly important as to relevance to S/N;
ur receiver's performance; and that of your hearing  (this is not to insinuate
that any TT'r comment herein is based on poor/exc hearing or having a poor/exc
receiver).

Too many connectors in the transmission line:
      Figure it like this, the connectors I deal in, as most quality
connectors, have an insertion loss of .200 dB  NOTE: AT THE MUF OF THE
CONNECTOR.   These UHF connectors have
an MUF of 300 MHz.  The insertion loss / freqcy is linear....easy math,  @ 3
MHz insertion is .002 dB.
   And yes, UHF's "work" at > 300 MHz...300 is the generally accepted
practical/efficient MUF.

Dealers that may or may not know the significance of specs or testing and QC of
cables they sell:
     True, so pick a dealer who knows his stuff, designs various cables;  also
qualifies and sells to entities such as NASA; Lockheed Martin; SPAWAR; US
Military; etc.,; also wholesales to hams; contributes to DX petitions;  and has
at least one ham on staff (what more could you want   HI).

73,  Steve   K1PEK

Davis RF Company
Electronic Wire, Cable and Cable Design Engineering
RF Coaxial Cable Connectors and Telecom Parts
A Division of Orion Wire Company, Inc.
www.DavisRF.com

Main office, NH:   Tel:  1-800-DAVIS RF
Steve Davis, Direct line, MA Branch:  1-978-369-1738    sdavis@DavisRF.com

>   2. Re: Measuring Coax Loss (Roger (K8RI))
>   3. Re: Measuring Coax Loss (Tom Osborne)
>   4. Re: Measuring Coax Loss (Roger (K8RI))
>   5. Re: Measuring Coax Loss (Mike)

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:55:13 -0500
> From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss
> To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics."
>       <towertalk@contesting.com>
>

> Mike Besemer (WM4B) wrote:
>> But let's put it in perspective.
>>
>> Suppose you're putting up a new antenna system and have two 100' lengths of
>> coax to choose from, one of which has 1dB more loss than the other.
>>
>> How much is that 1dB worth to you?  10 cents/foot?  20?  50?   Suppose you
>> have to make the same choice for 4 or 5 runs of the same coax.  Where do you
>> draw the line?
>>
>> I certainly get your point... I think the question is, where is the point of
>> diminishing returns?
>>

> I think it's not the point of diminishing returns but rather what
> compromise is the individual willing to settle for. IOW would you pay $1
> more per foot, $2.00, $3.00, $5.00, or where would the individual draw
> the line on those diminishing returns. I started with good RG-8, then
> went to 9913, then LMR-400, and currently with LMR-600. Next step? 7/8"
> Heliax for each run to the tower and up the tower? Probably if I come
> across some at a good price...IE, pull out from a commercial station
> that's been swept.  How much are you willing to spend for power? You can
> get the legal limit for close to $1000 used and go all the way to an
> auto tuning alpha that runs close to ten grand. Is the $800 plus Yaesu
> 897D good enough or are you willing to go $13,000 for their best
> transceiver. What if you spend at least as much time in your shop as the
> house like I do. Would you get the versatility of the 897D and carry it
> back and fourth, get two of them and spend the bucks to set up a SO2R
> station? I've had both the 897D and the 7000. Hated them both although
> they'd make great mobile rigs.
>
> Like many on here, my interest is in antennas, towers, and feed lines
> and *probably* most of us would spend more on the antenna and feed line
> than is installed in the typical station.
>
> Some individuals would spend big bucks to get that 1 db. I really need
> to put the story up about WD8RXP's home brew, self supporting tower.
> The story was in QST (I had the cover shot) as the "Mid Michigan
> Skyhook" written by Norm Keyon (WA8AEG) now W8AWE.  IIRC John had
> something like three semi loads of steel in that tower and over $30,000.
> John passed away a few years back and they couldn't even give the tower
> away. It was even on e-bay with no bids.  That system was small potatoes
> compared to some that have been listed on here such as those self
> supporting towers large enough to support a 4L 75 meter beam large
> enough to walk "inside" the boom.   Add to that the extra money for a
> [...]

Regards,   Steve

Please include all email history in responses until your inquiry or order is
completed