Re: [TowerTalk] wind load

To: "'Stan Stockton'" <k5go@cox.net>, "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wind load
From: "Gary E. Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:15:24 -0600
My worst overload was 120' of Rohn 45 with a two element 40 10' above the
top of the tower, and 5 element Hygain Long John 20 meter on top of the
tower, then a A3S at 85' and then a side swing arm mounted 5 element 15 10'
over a 5 element 20 (all "Long Johns") from 65 to 75'. To me that was a lot.
The Rohn was guyed only twice at 60' and 110' (should have had at least
three sets of guys but to swing the swing arm and the 15/20 monobanders,
could not have the third set of guys). Stayed up years and years. That
installation came down when a tornado passed directly over my house and my
towers and the tower I am discussing buckled in the center above the bottom
guy because three 80-90' pine trees (along with another 70 or so pine trees)
were laid over and all three trees directly hit one of the guys pulling out
the opposing guy wire from the wire clamps and pulling the top half of the
tower over until it folded to the ground.

If it had not been for the trees, I think that the Rohn would have survived
and I would have some elements or booms to deal with....

          73

                     Gary     W5FI