Re: [TowerTalk] Frequent crankup coax recommendation

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Frequent crankup coax recommendation
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:02:57 -0500
Hi Jim,

I'll start by saying, I like the LMR cables...*except* the Ultra flex
(UF) versions. The regular cables have a good reputation, but they are
fairly rigid/stiff.  You can make rotator loops like a multi turn, coil
spring that stand up well.  BUT as others have already said, the Davis
BuryFlex is rugged, has a slippery and very tough jacket, and is much
more flexible than the LMR -400.  It's not as flexible as the LMR-400UF,
but the UF has a jacket that "In my experience" does not  stand up well
out in the elements. The jacket is a rubber like material that is not
bonded to the braid and can move when it catches on something. After 5
years I had to replace all of the UF in my antenna system.  Considering
all the pigtails start at 98' and are 28' long except for one which is a
tad shorter, that is a lot of work.

73

Roger (K8RI)