Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Light Bulb

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Light Bulb
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 14:45:40 -0700
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 18:58:54 +0000, RICHARD SOLOMON wrote:

>I would replace them with a LED device (need a series resistor).
>I have the 2800 Rotor, probably the same Control Box. Lets see
>how long the bulbs last here in the land of high AC lines !!

That's what I just did. It's cold and rainy in the Santa Cruz
Mountains today, so it's a good day for a project like this.

Studying the schematic showed that the existing bulb is driven from
regulated 12VDC. On my workbench, I tried 5 LEDs in series on my
regulated and current limited HP supply. That wasn't enough to
overcome their barrier voltage, so I dropped down to 4 bulbs. That's
quite nice, draws less than 5 mA from 12V, and puts out a lot of
light.

I opened up the controller and rigged the 4-LED series string
alongside of the right side of the bezel and connected them to the
that 12V line. They provide a very acceptable level of illumination.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

73,

Jim K9YC