Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Light Bulb

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Light Bulb
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:41:09 -0700
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:19:34 -0700, Steve Robinson wrote:

>Jim,

>My pilot lamp on my G-1000DXA is out too. I popped the case off and it looks
>like a pain in the butt to get to the light. Did you have any trouble?

No, it was pretty painless. I ignored the light, clipped the leads from it,
and used them to feed my LEDs. The controller is fairly easy to get apart and
the manual clearly shows the circuitry, even to the number of the connector
and pin numbers that feed the bulb. I prepared the LEDs as a series string,
carefully insulating the wiring with heat shrink, hooked the string up to the
wires that fed the old bulb, shone a flashlight through the right side bezel
to verify that it would illuminate that scale well, rigged the LEDs as a
vertical string along that bezel, and used Scotch 88 to hold them in place.
Not elegant, but it worked very well. Took about an hour and a half. I
already had LEDs in the junk box from previous trips to my favorite surplus
house. :)

73,

Jim K9YC