Re: [TowerTalk] TV antennas on HF towers

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TV antennas on HF towers
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:13:00 -0700
Charles Coldwell wrote:
> I've heard of/read about people who put television antennas (for
> receiving  OTA broadcast TV) at the top of towers that are also used
> for HF antennas.  Does this risk blowing out the receiver in the TV if
> it picks up harmonics from the HF transmitter?  I suppose one could
> use a low pass filter on the transmitter/amplifier output, but I would
> still expect to get some RFI on the TV.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this sort of setup?
>
> --
> Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC

I used to have a TV antenna 1 foot above a KT34.  I could run
a kW on 10 meters and watch channel 2 40 miles away with no
TVI.  I will warn you that you have to make sure you don't have
any loose hardware at the top of the tower, because then you
will get TVI due to accidental diodes.  Never blew up the TV set.

Rick N6RK