Re: [TowerTalk] TV antennas on HF towers

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TV antennas on HF towers
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:49:46 -0400
If your antenna system is good enough so that you get strong signals
from your desired stations you will have no problems. If you have
marginal signals you will get breakups on digital signals. I don't
remember what happens on analog because there's just one analog
station I can receive here (W36AZ ch 36) which I can get in digital
anyway. I operate at around 800 watts and there's no interference on
my TVs.

This is my TV antenna setup -

2 x Channel Master 4228 (16 bay bow tie array, with a reflective screen) for UHF
Winegard YA1713 Yagi for VHF 7-13
Antennacraft 10G212 30dB preamp

The antennas are about 65ft on the tower which is good enough to get a
digital lock and no dropouts on the NYC stations which are ~49 miles
away. Only Fox 5.1 WNYW-DT has a little tiling when I key up because
their antenna pattern I think reduces the signal towards here because
of co-channel with WMCN 44 in Atlantic City NJ.

73
Ryan, N2RJ

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Charles Coldwell <coldwell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've heard of/read about people who put television antennas (for
> receiving  OTA broadcast TV) at the top of towers that are also used
> for HF antennas.  Does this risk blowing out the receiver in the TV if
> it picks up harmonics from the HF transmitter?  I suppose one could
> use a low pass filter on the transmitter/amplifier output, but I would
> still expect to get some RFI on the TV.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this sort of setup?
>
> --
> Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
> "Turn on, log in, tune out"
> Winchester, Massachusetts, New England (FN42kk)
>
> GPG ID:  852E052F
> GPG FPR: 77E5 2B51 4907 F08A 7E92  DE80 AFA9 9A8F 852E 052F

Ryan A. Jairam,