Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 19:05:32 -0400
Sorry to hear about your lightning strike, Jim.  My tower in Cary. IL was
hit a number of times.  Oce I happened to be foolishly outside and I saw
(and heard) it hit.   It also got into my electrical system a few times but
I never had the type of electrical problems that you do and I never had an
antenna damaged.

I don't know why lightning would damage your steel tower cables.  I never
replaced my guy wires after a strike.  US Towers recommends changing cables
frequently, regardless of lightning, but very few people do it.  Personally,
if I didn't see any damage, I would not be concerned.  Maybe it's time to
move back to AZ : )

GL,

John KK9A / W4AAA