Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning
From: Randy <randy@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:39:55 -0400
I don't mean to cast aspersions, since I have no personal knowledge of
this, but I've been told that
UST won't even sell or give copies of how to rig the cables, allegedly
due to liability issues. I do
know that I happily photographed the way a UST TX472 was rigged, and
emailed them to a gent
in 4X4 land, I forget his name/call, but he had purchased one w/o the
cables, and could not get
any info from UST, according to him. This is not the only time this
rumor has come up. I only
mention this in support of the "potential liability" issue posted below.

As to whether or not lightning can crack concrete, that's brought up
contentious discussions here before.
One gent did post here that he lost a tower back in the 60's due to a
blown-up concrete guy anchor.
I've seen it damage concrete several times, but I can't say one way or
the other re: "structural" problems
the OP had in his basement.

73,
Randy