Re: [TowerTalk] Telescoping TV Mast Installation questions

To: "larryjspammenot@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Telescoping TV Mast Installation questions
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:35:01 -0400
Larry:

     If you decide to go the push-up mast route, I suggest you NOT use the
cotter pins that typically come with these masts.  (FYI - my RS mast came
with three cotter pins to use to hold the sections up once each was pushed
up.)  I drilled out the holes in the mast sections where the cotters pins
were supposed to go and instead used 1/4 hardware.  To me the cotter pins
were too flimsy to withstand the shearing force of a heavy Ham antenna load.

     Also, assemble the mast horizontally on the ground and insert the bolts
between sections; you won't need to install the nuts, etc. Then place an
alignment mark across each tubing joint with an indelible marker so you can
align each section (extension and twist) as you push it up.  Nothing worse
than trying to figure out where the d#&!ed holes are when you have an arm
full of heavy antenna mast.  (Don't ask.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F