Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication

To: Brahmangou@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:47:20 -0400
On 5/18/2010 Brahmangou@aol.com wrote:

> Unlubricated bearings? Maybe the reason you are wearing out the races. I
> use Moly grease on all of mine, no problems yet. Every bearing needs
> lubrication, even old windmills from 100 years ago have oilers, and windmills
>  only
> turn at about 75 rpm. Where I live dust and dirt above 50 feet is not a
> problem, maybe in West Texas or Arizona the big dust storms could deposit
> enough  to make a difference.

I can't see why folks would use a ball bearing there (well, I can from a mfg
view) - I'd thing a nice bronze bearing or even better, a nice oil impregnated
wood bearing or a fibre reinforced graphite/plastic bearing block.  Lets face
it, it moves slowly, not that much, and your worried more about thrust  than
rotational efficiency
--
73 de KG2V

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations,
pursuing invariably the same Object evinces
 a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,
it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government,
 and to provide new Guards for their future security."

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com
My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Old MacDonald had an agricultural real estate tax abatement. E-I-E-I-O