[TowerTalk] BN-86 Balun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BN-86 Balun
From: "Don Tucker" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:41:08 -0700
". . . It baffles me why manufacturer's  keep  making the same junk year
in and out.... like TB-3/4's... W2AU baluns,   BN-86 baluns, toy rotor's,
lousy
coax connectors you can't solder to, xcvr's with 15 % thd  1.5 watt audio
amps,
lousy headsets, yagi's that fall apart, yagis  that have gross torque
imbalance,
rotor mast clamps that slip, and/or loosen.... muffler clamps with useless
sheet metal saddles, muffler clamps that rust.  The list is a mile long."

Jim, SO RIGHT on the BN-86. Junk. Living on the OR coast a few hundred feet
from all that undrinkable water my original BN-86 on the TH7DX I hauled down
from our inland Portland place lasted just over a couple of years. Bought a
replacement, same amount of time before it went south. Took it apart and
found salt corrosion, bad connections, spiders and their accumulated stuff.
Hamming on salt water is a quick lesson on what things will handle. Why they
never sealed it is beyond me.

Don W7WLL