Re: [TowerTalk] Optimium Tower Height

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optimium Tower Height
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 10:49:09 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/2010 12:03:43 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
chetmoore@cox.net writes:

This is  also the advice I was given 15 years ago by a very well-known
and  technically accomplished local multi-multi owner - he said if you
only  plan one tower, make it 100 feet.  I altered my plans accordingly,
and am very glad I did it.

73, Pete N4ZR

That is pretty good advice for some people in certain areas with  certain
operating habits.  Putting up a tower needs to fit your  particular operating
habits in a specific area.

I think everyone will agree that 200 feet is too tall for a  tribander if
it is your only antenna, and that 40 feet is too low. The area  between 65-
100 feet seems about right.  The problem with 100 feet is it  really stinks
for 10 meters (almost 3 wavelenghts) a lot of the  time....especially when
the band is wide open, and even more so when working  domestic stations.  65
feet works well but suffers a little on the long  haul stuff on 20.

I ran some quick HFTA for the guy based on him having a flat  terrain in NC
and his interests being DX in JA and Europe.  Based on  these, I came up
with a height of 80 feet or so.

Of course there is no magic number since we are dealing with three  bands
and the optimal height will change as we get into the  cycle.

The ideal solution would to have a 100 foot tower with the  tribander at
the top and a second around 50 feet or so on a ring, put in a WX0B  box and
run them in BIP/BOP/TOP/BOT.  It would be a  screamer.

By the way I used lots of different height antennas (up to 200  feet), some
tribanders, some monobanders at my multi-tower place back in  FL.

Bill KH7XS